Moringa is by far the most nutritious and useful plant in the world. Considered as an ancient herb, this superfood was highly regarded and valued by ancient Egyptians, Greeks and Romans for its healing properties. The oil derived from Moringa is said to be used by Egyptians to protect their skin from the desert heat. It was also used as a perfume and skin lotion. All these were drawn in ancient writings as far back as 2000 BC.
This incredible tree grows in the semi-dry and sub-tropical regions of the world and it thrives well in dry and poor soil. It can tolerate drought and can grow amazingly fast. This tree is native to India and is being grown in Mexico, South America and Asia.
From the leaves to the roots, all parts of the Moringa tree can be used, be it for food or in cooking. The leaves, flowers and seeds hold important macroelements like sodium, potassium, calcium, phosphorus and magnesium. Just the leaves alone are a powerhouse of nutrition – its potassium content is three times than that of a banana, vitamin C is seven times than oranges, vitamin A is four times than carrots and has two times more protein and four times calcium than milk. In plants, Moringa has the highest protein ratio. There’s more! Would you believe that the leaves are even more potent when dried? Now, that is awesome!
Here are more fascinating Moringa facts which will surely amaze you:
- There are 20 essential amino acids found in the human protein, and guess what? Nine of these are found in Moringa leaves!
- For nursing mothers, consuming super Moringa leaves increases quantity of breast milk.
- For women who want to maintain a beautiful skin, the regular application of Moringa paste will do the job naturally.
- When mixed with polluted water, Moringa seeds will absorb all impurities making it drinkable. The same way it detoxifies our body as it contains several flavonoids, which are potent antioxidants.
- It is known to be a strong antibiotic.
- It is effective in fighting diabetes by keeping your blood sugar level normal.
- With its immunity-stimulant property, it can be prescribed to individuals afflicted with AIDS.
As for side effects from consuming Moringa leaves and seeds, there is totally none.
Do you want a boost of energy without the extra weight? Moringa leaves are for you.
Picture courtesy of: http://www.kaubic.in/images/Moringa%20oleifera.jpg