“Food of the Gods” … is indeed what raw cacao really is. Let’s feed our brain a bit about this amazingly versatile superfood.
Raw Cacao is native to the tropics of the Americas. It was thought to be a gift from the Gods and revered for centuries because of its medicinal qualities. The ancient native people of Meso-america valued cacao so much that they used it as a currency and were even depicted on places of worship dating back 600 A.D. Cacao has also been used in Ayurvedic and Chinese medicines. About 500 years ago cacao traveled to Spain where it intermingled with the European culture. Today,raw cacao is mainly sourced from Peru & Ecuador. Thanks to the ancient Mayans, we now enjoy this utterly delicious superfood.
You may not be aware but raw cacao comes in several form. They are frequently available in nibs, finely ground powder, different varieties of food bars and even in raw cacao butter.
Now let’s find out what this super bean has to offer in terms of health benefits. If you haven’t heard of chromium, it’s an essential trace element known to regulate blood sugar levels naturally and is a very potent aid to weight loss. Guess what? Raw cacao boasts very high chromium content and that is good news because you can enjoy eating this raw chocolate without piling on extra pounds. It makes a healthy and delicious substitute to regular chocolate bars and other sweet snacks. Taking raw cacao as part of a balanced diet can enhance your physical health and mental well-being.
What makes up this organic superfood?
- It is totally pure and unrefined unlike processed chocolate.
- It doesn’t contain fattening sugars and milk which are responsible for weight gain and obesity.
- It is extremely rich in powerful nutrients including vitamins, fibers, minerals, essential fatty acids and antioxidants.
- It actively encourages weight loss by stimulating a sustained feeling of fullness.
- It increases energy, heightens libido and improves both mood and concentration.
- It is clinically proven to reduce hardening of the arteries, lower blood pressure and reverse heart disease.
You can enjoy this versatile superfood in a variety of ways. Mix raw cacao powder to nut milks or your favorite smoothies and you have a delicious health drink. It also comes in nibs or crunchy beans which makes for a perfect snack.
Now, how about some heavenly cacao butter for a rather relaxing massage?
Picture courtesy of http://www.anneofcarversville.com/body-politics/tag/antioxidants